Monday, July 04, 2005

Color War Debate Panal

I have looked at many blogs of new olim (term used for someone who moved to Israel), and have spoken to many olim who have stated they are undecided on the disengagement issue. I know some of them from the States, and have spoken to some about their lives before aliyah (term for the act of moving to Israel). I think most of them would have been against the Disengagement in America. I think they are confused here by all the roundabout issues. They do not know how they feel about disobeying orders. They do not appreciate traffic being blocked. They are upset about the teens and younger children that are involved in the fight. What is about making aliyah that leftifies some? Why would they have proudly stood at the Israeli Day Parade in Orange and held signs up, and written articles against the disengagement if they were still living in USA, but here in Israel they're not sure which way to go? I don't have the answer, just thought I'd throw this out into the color war debate panal

8 Comments:

Blogger Olah Chadasha said...

I think it has to do with the comfort of being in the US. There, they can truly be idealists without having to deal with the realities of the situation. It doesn't effect them, so they can go with the decision of being pro or anti from the comforts of their own homes, 6,000 some odd miles away. Here, the reality of the situation marks the making of the decision.
BTW, I don't think a person is a leftist, here, if they are in favor of the disengagement. Just like anybody who is anti-disengagement is not an ultra-rightist. I think that is an extremely unfair generalization. I think the disengagement is the lesser of all evils, but I and no-one I know would classify me as a leftist.
Also, the orange on black is very bright, a little hurtful to the eyes. You might want to use a lesser intense shade of orange.
-OC

4:30 PM  
Blogger Menachem said...

1) it's easy to say you're against the disengagement when the consequences don't affect you in the slightest.

2) extreme right wingism exists in america as a substitute for real zionism. "i may not have the stones to make aliya, but i'm DAMN sure going to support a policy that makes me look more zionistic. if israelis die so that i can look good in foreign policy discussions during the haftorah on shabbas mornings... so be it."

5:38 PM  
Blogger Olah Chadasha said...

Exactly!!!

9:47 PM  
Blogger CJ Srullowitz said...

This is such a difficult time, lulei demistafina.

3:44 AM  
Blogger Jameel @ The Muqata said...

2r: Your picture of the kid with the flag looks just like my 2 oldest kids...

The origin for orange as the color of "anti-disengagement" wasn't carefully planned -- it just happened to be the color of the flag of the Chof Azza Regional Council.

5:48 PM  
Blogger Olah Chadasha said...

Actually, Jameel, according to Menachem's research, it the "orange revolution" started in the Ukraine and followed here. He found it in Wikipedia. I might have gotten part of it wrong. You should ask him.
-OC

7:38 PM  
Blogger Jameel @ The Muqata said...

OC: The people I spoke to in Gush Katif said it had nothing to do with the Orange Revolution in the Ukraine...but rather with their municpial flag color (which is close to 30 years old). Yet, I will speak to more people about it.

Rav Aviner had a whole story about the color in this past week's parsha sheet from Machon Meir, that it represents the "smiling sun" color. (I believe he came up with that description, retroactively :-)

The big issue today is: Nefesh B'Nefesh is begging Olim on their flights not to come wearing Orange.

12:17 PM  
Blogger Olah Chadasha said...

Really, have you heard why?
-OC

2:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home