Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Yodeah Lishol!

One of my favorite sites is Lookjed. It is a list of questions that Jewish educators post and answer. I will admit that most of the answers given completely bother me, but most of the questions I love. This was posted recently.

Recently a student said in my Halacha class: "Oh, come on. That's justgoing too far. I mean, God can't possibly care how I do that." The particular issue was about how to properly use a crockpot for Shabbat based on the rules we were studying. I had just mentioned that some say the outer pot must be covered in foil. Leaving aside the particular case at hand, I'd love to collect responses you've used to this question that students often ask of why Halacha seemsoverly picky with minor details.

All the Best,
Mark Smilowitz
Teacher
Northwest Yeshiva High School
Seattle, WA

Isn't this what it is all about? Don't we want Jewish students to want to care and understand. If the educators in our "system" can't answer simple basic questions, as I believe this to be, now an we expect students in "the system" to keep on the path? Haven't we been taught the difference between Judaism and most other religions is we welcome questions. I think he should be given an award for asking such a great question. Kol Hakavod.

5 Comments:

Blogger Veev said...

Sar, you actually helped me with this one, and I use the answer every year in my classroom.

Why does God care about how we cut our nails or put on our shoes and tie them? Because we have the opportunity to involve Hashem in every aspect of our otherwise mundane lives.

4:44 AM  
Blogger TRK said...

We should always welcome questions, but I think that this one is quite arrogant and shallow (not that I would say that to the questioner). What makes us asume that G-d would only "care" (care???) about the big ones like murder and stuff? Chip away at those assumptions.

TRK

7:45 AM  
Blogger 2R said...

TRK,
I think you are seeing arrongance in a space that is filled with confusion and total lack of understanding. HS students just don't get it, it being the G'd factor, and the quick answers and look of surprise on their teachers faces when they ask or hear questions like this lead them to believe there is no answer. This should be added to the curriculum... Relationship With G'd 101

11:18 AM  
Blogger 2R said...

Veev,
Love you! I'm glad you're such a great teacher and your students have a chance to learn from you! Miss you! Who you learning with this shavuot?

11:19 AM  
Blogger Veev said...

My pillow.

2:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home