Sunday, April 17, 2005

Good Jewish Girls...

My mom always told me that when she was growing up there were some things "Good Jewish Girls" just didn't do. I'd imagine hitchiking would be on the list. I'd also imagine that's only b/c they didn't make those rules here.
My first tremp from Kfar Darom to Kisufim was by an 18 y/o kid about to go into the army and his sister. He was driving his sister's friends out of the Strip, and I joined them. They let us off by the Kissufim junction where there was a convention of teenage girls taking pictures and hugging and jumping and yelling and waiting for their mini busses to come pick them up. After about 20 minutes of packed car after packed car pass us by, a car stops. In the most American accent the man yells across the passanger (lady) that they were going to pass Kiryat Gat, if that helps...I asked if they thought I'd be able to get a tremp to Yerushalayim from there (in English) and he responded in English that he was really going to Efrat if I wanted a ride there. Efrat! perfect...I tremp from there all the time!
Climbed into the car, with one other Israeli hitchhiker, and we were off.
They were the cutest couple. They were in their mid 50's, he had been living here for about 10 years, and she made aliyah this past summer. They met and were soon married! Listened to old country music and then credence the whole way to Efrat.
Got to Efrat and stepped out of the car, while another car pulled up and said he was going to Katamon. Perfect! I couldn't ask for more door to door service! My new driver is in his mid 20's lives in Katamon, his family lives in Efrat. He picked up 3 other girls who were also waiting for a ride to Yerushalayim.
Good Jewish Girl...yeah, they tremp...with good Jewish families and have good Jewish stories. There has to be something to be said for a society which raises kids to believe someone will be going their direction and will pick them up...
Shavua Tov!

1 Comments:

Blogger Robyn said...

umm... nice girls tremp out of yishuvim... when you start dealing with cities then you start hitting such rules again... Yay yishuvim.

7:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home