Thursday, March 24, 2005

Disengaged

My American phone line offers me the chance to shmooze away with my friends still in the States. We can talk about other friends, what's going on, whose doing what, who had a kid, etc... It's all very nice. I found out it can also be exceedingly frusterating. A friend said to me the other day, "So, what's going on in Israel, any busses blow up recently?" I was a little taken aback. For one because the last bus bombing was last August, and two because how could she assume she wouldn't know if a bus had exploded! I let it slide, and made a side comment about how we were all too busy dealing with being for and against the disengagement to have busses blow up. She wanted to know what that was. WHAT THAT WAS? What is going on in America?! Hello Jews of America, this is your country. Now yes, I understand that my friend does not represent all American Jews. I asked my father if the rabbi in shul has mentioned anything about the disengagement, he answered no. Why don't they care? Why isn't this a major Jewish/Religious discussion. Why isn't this being discussed everywhere two Jews meet? We may Gd forbid be on the verge of a civil war, and the American Jews won't even know why. I no longer have to ask myself why there is talk about disengagement...it's because world Jewry is disengaged. And they don't care...

2 Comments:

Blogger Veev said...

Um maybe your Dad in in the wrong Shul. At YIOP, the Rabbi did discuss it.

7:39 AM  
Blogger Menachem said...

Two reasons an American rabbi might not mention disengagement:

1) he doesn't think it's a halachik issue, therefore not his job.

2) he believes disengagement is not against halacha.

but yeah, you're right. ignorance is inexcusable.

1:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home