Tuesday, March 15, 2005

To Be Or Not To Be Scened

Israel may not be the largest country in the world, but she is 7 hours long... I can live anywhere in the country (this week - legal or illegal outpost) and I chose to live in Katamon. I tried living in Givat Shmuel for a year, but the lack of "scene"age drove me to Katamon. I am clearly here because of the single scene. Because of the chance that I may meet another single who also lives here and we will end our singledom together, and until then I can be surrounded by other singles. In fact all the singles who live here are living here because of the single scene. While they may say they hate it, and may say that they are not a part of it - they are all living here for a reason. That reason is not cheap rent, is not because they live with their parents, and is not becuase it is the only neighborhood that will let them in - they can be anywhere (Kiryat Moshe is cheaper and much closer to most of the bus lines). With that said, I am at a loss what to do about Purim. Do I scene it for Purim, or find a nice family to hideout by? Purim this year is not simply a meal...Purim is at least 3 days long. That includes a Thursday night party, a friday meal party, a Shabbat Purim drunken lunch, A Saturday night Party and a seudas mitzvah on Sunday... HMMMM If I leave Jerusalem I have to stay away until Sunday. I can not sleep in my apartment Sat. night b/c I will have missed Purim Yerushalayim which is really on Shabbat and then no one has given me a straight answer if I need to do mitzvot Purim on Sunday... Problem is I don't want to spend Shabbat with my friends all drunk. I don't want to walk through drunken streets, and listen to drunken chit chat all weekend. I don't want to spend Purim alone and depressed that I'm not with my family and the Hochheisers... But I don't want to spend it with friends. Purim will definitely be an experience, it will definitely be fun, and it will definitely be a weekend for the books, but to say "What happens on Purim stays on Purim" isn't really a way to celebrate a religious holiday. So, if I am here for the scene, and this is it, should I say Purim is above that...or should I just sit back relax and enjoy the show...

4 Comments:

Blogger Veev said...

Aren't your friends too mature for those kinds of shenanigans?

6:27 AM  
Blogger 2R said...

Vee, i don't think mature plays a hand in an acceptance at being drunk on Purim...

1:38 PM  
Blogger Just Shu said...

Done you think you should get drunk?? its always more fun to be with drunk people when youre drunk..

10:14 PM  
Blogger Just Shu said...

Scene It.....you never know what might happen. And try to find some people who won't get trashed. Then you can escape with them when the drunkies are running wild in the streets. Or whatever.
-Nat

5:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home