Monday, January 31, 2005

Off The Deep End

Today, for the first time in my life, I was informed that I am not indispensible. That anyone can do my job, and that it will be very easy to replace me. Sort of makes me wonder why I stayed as long as I did. Yes, today I quit. I will now be working on my year program full time in an office, with a desk, a phone, a computer, and access to a secretary (I'm not sure what to do with her, I was just told that i'll have access to her...hmmm) So I move from dispensible nobody to Director of a year program for overseas students. Kinda makes you wonder, well, at least me wonder...

As I'm sitting here in wonderment, let me tell you about tonight...
Tonight was there was a rally held in Jerusalem where somewhere between 100,000 and 200,000 people came from all over the country (my brother came from the North) to demand that the government ask the people in a National Referendum (fancy phrase for a vote) if they want to excavate the Jews living in Gush Katiff, and give it to the Palestinians.

The first thought that went through my head, as I was walking surrounded by thousands of people, and watching packed bus after packed bus pass us with the names of their respective cities writen on the front, was that the pride I felt in being able to be a part of something I truly believe in with thousands of others who a fighting with everything they have would stay with me forever. I don't want to stop caring, ever! I don't want to stop believing the world can be made to understand, ever! I know too many people who were not there tonight, not because they don't "believe" in the cause, not because they weren't feeling well, or couldn't make it into Yerushalyim, or even because they had too much work to do. They didn't come because they were tired of rallies. They didn't come because they don't believe that they make a difference. They didn't come because they stopped remembering to care. Guess what, almost 200,000 people cared enough to come, and leave their families, and leave work early, and travel for hours, and spend money, and spend time, and cancel plans, and put their personal lives on hold... so that they could be part of a greater scheme. So that they can davven tomorrow morning, and say Gd, I was there, I was a part of almost 200,000 people who won't give up on You, and Your People, and Your Land.
The second was a song from Newsies. "When you've got a thousand voices singing who can hear a lousy wistle blow..."
The third was how am I going to find my brothers in this mess of people... it only took 20 minutes.

1 Comments:

Blogger Air Time said...

2R - You are indispensible to us. we miss you.

It's good to hear you feel so strongly about things. It's also good to see that you still remember the lessons of Newsies.

6:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home