Sunday, January 30, 2005

Politics & Religion

Thursday night ritual for the last 5 years has been realizing that it is actually thursday night, realizing I don't really have plans for the weekend, and finding them. The Thursday night ritual had been on hold in my life the past month, as I made the last two weekends, and had previous engagements for almost the last two months. While yes, I was INVITED up north to the Zacks Gililean Residence, I was feeling so sick and had no desire to travel up there. So, I asked my roommate if she knew of anyone making a meal, and asked my little bro if i could join him and his wife for lunch at their friend's house. Dinner was settled in a matter of seconds, thank you Jessica (with a J), and I was sleeping by 6:30 PM (quite a feat for me). At 11:30 my little brother called to tell me there was a change of plans, him and his wife were going away, and I was on my own. I was up until 1:30 eating soup, and wondering why the world looked like it was spinning until i was ready to go to sleep again. Friday morning I found lunch plans with my first phone call, and met my cousin, who has apparently been in town for over a week without calling, for lunch... I'm a little nervous that Thursday night ritual may be pushed to Friday morning ritual as that lunch plan was too easy...

The weekend was a mixture of really nice discussions and a lot of sleep. Friday night discussion was light and fun until we started talking politics. It turns out two of the dinner guests were sleeping at the protest tents. The protest has been going on now for over 3 weeks, 24 hours. I love it, I've been there a number of times, but I've never slept there. The protest is against the Israeli Government giving away the Jewish areas of Gaza to the Palestinians.

One of the hosts of the dinner had to bring up that while she was in agreement with the reasoning for the protest, she was very against parents and schools encouraging young children to protest, or be involved in politics at all. I took the stand that they are raising them with political values, the same as one would raise a child with religious values, or scholastic values. She refused to see how I could even lump religion and politics into the same catergory.

2 Comments:

Blogger Air Time said...

Are you sureit has a J.

Who said you could speak for the lorax?

Children shouldn't have to spew politics from the carseat. They should be playing baseball.

6:51 AM  
Blogger rockofgalilee said...

what cousin is in town?

children shouldn't have any political values. They should have good religious and social values and then when they are older they can determine their political values on their own.

There may be a blur in what you consider social/religious and what you call political.

8:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home