Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Default Dating

I am about to have my first ever default date. I was set up with a guy, we went out & talked for 6 hours. I know he has an older brother, lived in 7 places in Bklyn before he was 9 y/0 and moved to NJ. (Hillside actually). I know his family used to go to a cabin upstate NY. I know he had 3 dogs growing up, two he liked one scared them (a husky) so they got rid of it after 2 years. I know he wanted to be an architect, but never left yeshiva to go to college. I know he loves, and apparently is very good at, Othello. I know both his parents are teachers. His mother just retired, she's loving it. He has gone skiing a couple of times, he started horsebackriding when he was 4 (but he's never ridden here) He came for yeshiva after highschool 10 years ago, and hasn't left yet. He's funny, he laughs, he knows how to converse...
and I'm sure he has a name...
My rabbi set us up. He sent me an e-mail telling me that this guy came to see him about being set up, and he thought of me. He told me a very little bit about him, and I figured why not. So my rabbi gave my number to "boy", and "boy" called. I still did not have his name, so after we set up the date, I called my rabbi and admitted that I didn't know what his name was. The rabbi said Melech Baruch, I think. Immediately my brother, who I told, started calling him King Boris, which is a not so rough translation. I can not immagine that he really goes by that name. It's just strange. I guess if girls can be called Malka (queen) guys can be Melech, just strange.
So tonight I have a second date with King Boris, yes back at the hotel. I suggested a park, but he was nervous about it being cold or rainy. I don't know what two strangers have left to say to each other after 6 hours of talking, so I'm bringing a game.
So, why do I call it default dating?
The biggest thing that this guy has going for him, is that I didn't see anything wrong with him. So, tonight is date number two. I'll hopefully find out what his name is, or at least what his friends call him. And maybe i'll want a third date, or maybe there'll still be nothing wrong with him.

3 Comments:

Blogger Air Time said...

You talked for six hours? In a Row?

6:14 PM  
Blogger rockofgalilee said...

I hope you didn't bring Othello.
Also, try not to win but don't lose too badly. And out of 7 games if you win one that also won't be so bad.

10:25 PM  
Blogger Robyn said...

Go you. i finally stopped by to check this out. i felt like i should Go ahead and comment, figured I'd see how your blog is Go-ing and noticed that the comment section seemed to need more diversity... (I'm done now, really, and I'm even playing fair)

1:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home