Tuesday, January 11, 2005

320 Hours

The forward moving meetings have started! I am meeting with a graphic designer tomorrow to discuss a brochure for the program, and I am meeting with the business director next week to discuss budgets and salaries... Now the big question comes up...

Do I quit my current job or not?

On a selfish level I would love to quit my job irregardless of this new position. I took the job because I loved the idea of the job, I have come to hate the organazation that I work for. I disagree with the way the play the game entirely. They don't do anything illegal, I just feel that they are wasting a huge opportunity. I work for an organazation that involves overseas post high school students in local community social actions. I love working with young adults, and I thought this would be an excellent oppportunity to help them start to appreciate and give back to the world that's been working for them until now. In reality the way this organazation runs programing, I don't really have a chance to meet the participants, and the participants do not really have a chance to become involved in the communities. Aside from that, I do not get along with my boss about anything relating to the programs. Where I see opportunities, she sees a waste of time. Where I see a waste of money, she sees "this is the way it's always been done". My boss is stuck in the mud of wanting the organazation to be run "like last year". The problem with that is there are no employees who were here last year, as she only hires people for one year. So we are recreating from scratch last years' wheel. As an out of the box thinker, I find this very difficult.

So what's the problem, why don't I just quit?

I signed a contract saying that I would be here for a year.
I only work 20 hours a week.
I do enjoy some of the projects that I work on.
The few participants I have been able to get to know, I like working with.

Part of me feels that by not leaving, I am just using them for the extra cash I'll get for the 20 hours a week. Really, what's 20 hours? I don't think that this'll get in the way of my preparation for my new program. I do not have set hours in this job, and so I can make my schedule around my meetings. I already told her I am leaving for a month to do recruitment in the States, and she was ok with that. (I didn't really ask, I sorta just told her I wasn't going to be here February) After February there are only 4 more months until "the year" is over. What's 4 months.

Just 320 hours.

2 Comments:

Blogger rockofgalilee said...

I think you should make her miserable by adopting a no-care attitude about the whole process. Like when she tells you off say things like whatever.

She can't fire you and since you don't need the job you can just chill and take it as it comes.

11:09 PM  
Blogger Air Time said...

Dont quit. Nothing wrong with using someone to make rent money.

8:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home