Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Dish or Dash?

When I was younger my mother told me a great story from her childhood. She wanted to surprise her parents with homebaked cookies. She took my grandmother's handwritten recipe, and saw that it called for a dish of salt. She was unsure of which size dish to use, so she took stock of her mother's array of dishes and chose an average size from the selection. The cookies were awful, and my grandmother appologized for her handwritting, the recipe had only needed a dash of salt. I'm trying to figure out a recipe for life. Does idealism add flavor to realism, or the other way? Does life call for a dash of idealism and I'm trying to figure out what size dish? Ok, I'll backtrack. I've been trying to launch a new idea in the Israel year program world. I want to open a place for non-yeshiva kids. A kiruv program which combines learning with living...in this case, learning and internships in Israeli offices. I found a group who seemed to believe in the idea, and in me. Without going into too many details, the positive energy flowing into the program from the group has slowed. They have thought seriously about pulling their support. After a week of meetings with them, about the financial gains the organzation will come out with, they have agreed to continue with my program. I have seen them in a new light, and I see they don't really believe in or understand the program. I never really thought I would be the person really running the program. I don't think I am equipped to run a school. I don't think I am equipped both educationally or religiously to make the types of decisions on my own. I thought the educational director who is a rabbi with decades of years experiance working in kiruv with youth, would take more of a position in the program. I have come to understand that he is only going to play background. He is going to treat it like any other program the group runs, leaving me to be the director of this program. I still believe the program is needed. I still believe the program could do so much good. But... with me running it... ????? It was suggested that I run the program the best I can for one, two years until the program is a success and then I can hire the type of influences I want. What about those two years worth of students who come here, and don't get everything they should. What about those participants who could've gone to yeshiva/midrasha? Back to the recipe, does it need a healthy dish or dash of idealism?

5 Comments:

Blogger Veev said...

I was a first-year teacher once. What I lacked in experience and expertise I made up for in drive and enthusiasm.

Sar, those two elements rub off on the kids. Trust me, they won't suffer. They're lucky to have you. And you'll be great!

As a side point, Daniel's class had a new teacher last year. While they didn't learn everything that their curriculum demanded, I have never met a more motivated and Torah-loving group of students. They sang, they heard stories, and they learned that Torah is awesome! That, my dear, is the basis of learning.

5:03 AM  
Blogger Olah Chadasha said...

I agree with with veev. Add all the idealism you can. I'm taking that these peole who are investing in your program, rather unenthusiastically, left their idealism in their other pants. That's sad that they don't approach this program with so much more vigor. It seems like such an excellent idea, and, eventhough there are so many other one year programs, it doesn't seem as if there are many programs, if any good ones, like yours.

If you want help building and gaining good educational and program contacts, I honestly can help you with it. I have people you can talk to who have a lot of experience with developing different programs, educational and religious. If you're interested, let me know, and we can talk via e-mail or phone.
-OC

3:53 PM  
Blogger Jameel @ The Muqata said...

2Rs: Choref Tov. I just received 2 large boxes of hadracha material I put together and found about 20 years ago. Its all very relavent, and has lots of good stuff in it. My wife says I must get rid of it. Let me know if you want it...I'll deliver it anywhere in Jerusalem, Gush Dan, YESHA, etc.

4:45 PM  
Blogger Air Time said...

Two R has a boyfriend Two R has a boyfriend Two R has a boyfriend Two R has a boyfriend Two R has a boyfriend Two R has a boyfriend Two R has a boyfriend Two R has a boyfriend Two R has a boyfriend Two R has a boyfriend Two R has a boyfriend Two R has a boyfriend Two R has a boyfriend

11:50 PM  
Blogger SHEV said...

wait- airtime, 4 sarra u get excited but 4 me i get an interrogation every time you see me??????

11:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home